following descriptions are taken from Historical Records
of Franklin County,Texas by B.F. Hicks and Doris Meek,
and are reproduced here with their permission. This book
was compiled, between 1967 and 1972, so the
estimates of number of graves in each cemetery may or may
not be correct depending on whether or not burials
were still taking place after its publication.
***2017 The cemeteries not listed in
the book were found on FindaGrave.com***
is a large cemetery located in the southern end of
the county. This cemetery contains
approximately 300 graves and is in good
condition. Burials probably started in the
1880's. The earliest tombstone is that of W.E.
Mullinax who was born Nov. 26, 1884 and died Jan 28,
1887. Located on CR 4350, off FM 1448 in
Southern Franklin County, Texas. As of 2017 there are
over 1000 graves
***Off of the TXGenWeb
Franklin Co site is a link to the Bethel Cem. Association***
is a lost family cemetery of the Cannon family.
It is on land belonging to Mr. Chucky Frazier about
two miles south of Hagansport. No sign of this
cemetery remains and it was probably abandoned about
Cherry Cemetery also
called Keener is a lost cemetery of the Cherry
and Keener families. It is located about one
mile northwest of the Daphne Methodist Church.
Until 1970 from five to ten marble tombstones and
about ten wooden posts marked the graves of members
of these related families. Unfortunately, the
land has been bulldozed to clear underbrush and only
three ancient cedars and some clumps of daffodils
remain as signs of this cemetery.
is a cemetery of approximately 250 graves located
about five miles northeast of Winnsboro. This
cemetery is surrounded by a chain link fence and is
in excellent condition. Several tombstones in
this cemetery date from the 1870's and one dates to
the 1860's. Arthur W. Bradley's monument shows
the date of his death as July 19, 1866. As
of 2017 there are over 300 documented graves.
Latitude: 32.9865111 Longitude: -95.2102195
Colliers Chapel Cemetery
is an old, poorly kept cemetery located about 1 mile
west of highway 37, midway between Hagansport and
White Oak Creek. About 80 graves are
recognizable today. Burials probably started in
the 1870's although the earliest marked graves date
only from the 1890's.
Cypress Cemetery is a
large well-kept cemetery of at least 500 graves
located beside the Cypress Baptist Church in
the southern end of the county. The Cemetery
was probably started in the early 1850's. The
earliest marked gravesite is that of Mary G. Sparks
who was born Feb 4, 1818 and died May 15, 1856.
Denton Cemetery is
the largest and only remaining Negro Cemetery in
Franklin County and is located behind the Denton
Baptist Church about two miles south of Mt.Vernonís
business district but within the city limits.
There are probably slightly over 200 graves in this
large cemetery. Only one tombstone was found
which dated in the years before 1900 and that was the
tombstone of A.D. Blackburn who died July 17,
is a well kept cemetery located in the northwestern
corner of Franklin County. It contains around
300 graves. Burials probably started in the
1870's. One of the earliest marked graves is that of
Wilson B. Westerman who was born in 1851 and died
Family Cemetery at
I-30 Rest Area A chain link fence encloses this
lost family cemetery on the east side of the south
rest area on Interstate Highway 30 about three miles
west of Mt. Vernon. No information was found
concerning the people who are buried in this small
is a large well kept cemetery of some 400
graves. The cemetery was behind the old
Friendship Church which was torn down in 1967. The
church and cemetery were once the center of the
Friendship Community. The cemetery was quite
possibly started by the Garmack family who lost two
small sons within three days in February 1876.
These Garmack children, Charles and Joseph, have the
oldest dated tombstones in the cemetery.
Cemetery is a
family cemetery containing approximately 100 graves
and is still in use today by members of the
Fuquay family. The cemetery is located
northeast of Hopewell and is in excellent
condition. The earliest marked grave is that of
Andrew Fuquay who died Oct 13, 1876.
Glade Springs Cemetery
is a cemetery of some 300 graves located in the area
of the Glade Springs Community behind the Glade
Springs Baptist Church. The cemetery is fenced
and in excellent condition. Burials may have
started in the late 1860's, but the earliest marked
grave is that of Dan Dupree, born in 1870 and died in
April 1880. To see a partial transcribed list
of the graves at this cemetery, click here.
Goode Cemetery is a
lost cemetery of the Goode family. The site of
the cemetery was the site former Franklin County
Judge Neal Duvall selected for his homestead about
three miles southeast of Hagansport. There were
never tombstones in this small family cemetery and it
was probably abandoned by 1900.
Good Hope Cemetery is
a well kept cemetery of about 250 graves and is
located on the south side of Cypress
Creek beside the Good Hope Baptist Church. This
cemetery was probably founded around 1910 with
the establishment of the Good Hope Church.
is a lost cemetery located on top of a hill about
one-half mile north of Newsom's Meat Packing
Plant. The only tombstone is to the memory
of Richard Graham who was born Sep 3, 1807 and
died March 4, 1854. This cemetery is on
land belonging to F.J. Joyce. A fence protected
the small cemetery until it fell from decay sometime
in the 1950's. Since the fence has fallen, cattle
have destroyed most of the traces of the 20 or more
graves. The graves were covered with row upon
row of bricks.
Cemetery is a small family plot one-fourth
mile northeast of the intersection of CRNE 2100 and
CRNE 2010 in a grove of elm, persimmon, and bois
d&rsquoarc in an open field. It is probably one
of the oldest in Franklin County. The cemetery was
referred to earlier as the Ury Cemetery,
the name of the original surveyor and owner of the
surrounding land. There were possibly a few dozen
graves covered by bricks that are now covered over
and one substantial marker for Richard Graham, born
Sept. 3, 1807 and died March 4, 1854. The plot is
west of the site of an antebellum home that dominated
the hilltop. ~Update provided by Ed Joyce, Aug.
Gray Rock Cemetery
is a large old cemetery in what once was the center
of the Gray Rock Community. There are at least
350 graves. This cemetery is located about one
mile west of Winfield on the south service road of
Interstate 30. The earliest burial is that of
Lula Smith, daughter of J.C. and M.J. Smith who was
born Nov 9, 1871 and died Feb 15, 1872.
is in the Hagansport Community and has around 250
graves. Burials probably started in the 1880's.
The people of the community had probably used
the Pierces Chapel Cemetery previous to the start of
Hagansport Cemetery. The earliest marked grave
is that of Laura Terry who was born June 13, 1870 and
died Oct 13, 1876.
is a very poorly kept cemetery in the Hopewell
community. It contains perhaps 500 graves but
is in such poor condition it is dangerous to hazard a
guess. Slaves were buried in the back part of
this cemetery and a Negro section is reserved
today. This is one of five cemeteries in
Franklin County where tombstones dating to the 1850's
still stand-though no one is acting at Hopewell to
preserve these ancient markers. Emma Stokes and
Ida Joyce were both buried in this cemetery in
1857. To see a partial transcribed list of the
graves at this cemetery, click here.
Cemetery is located about 5 miles southeast
of Mt. Vernon on SH 21, facing the Hopewell
Cumberland Presbyterian Church in the Hopewell
community. This site is on the Old Jefferson Road
used by many people coming into North Texas. The
cemetery is one of the oldest in Franklin County,
with markers dating to 1854, and it is believed that
as many as 500 graves may exist, even though some of
the earliest were poorly marked and have become lost.
In 1982, the cemetery effort was revitalized, and the
cemetery is now well-maintained and has available
space. The families with several members buried here
are the Rogers, Laws, Rutledge, Joyce, Harvey,
Taylor, Rodgers, Loveless, and Traylor. ~Update
provided by Ed Jo
is a small family cemetery located near the old Flora
Bluff community about six miles east of Mt.
Vernon. William Hughes, who was born in North
Carolina in 1790 and died in 1854, is buried in this
cemetery as is his wife Eleanor Dyles Hughes.
Several of the Hughes children and possibly members
of other related families are buried in this
cemetery. William Hughes is possibly the only
veteran of the War of 1812 buried in Franklin
County. He served in Pugh's Company, N.C.
during 1813 and 1814. From North Carolina
Hughes moved into Tennessee where he married and then
on to Texas in 1840.
Kaye Cemetery is a
small family cemetery located south of Mt.
Vernon. No tombstones or markers of any kind
are left at the site of this cemetery.
Keith Cemetery aka Pierce Chapel Cemetery
Krantz Family Cemetery
Liberty Cemetery is a
well kept cemetery located at the cite of the old
camp meeting ground near the Purley Community, east
of HWY 37 on HWY 900.. The cemetery contains
some 300 graves. The oldest marked grave is
that of L.M. Tittle who was born in 1836 and died in
1870. To see a transcribed list of the graves
at this cemetery
***Off of the TXGenWeb
Franklin Co site is a link to the Liberty
is in the Macon Community, located in the
southeastern edge of the County and contains around
200 graves. Burials probably started in the
late 1880s. The first marked grave is that of
Sue Swayze who was born Sep 3, 1829 and died
March 8, 1890.
is a lost cemetery located about seven miles
northeast of Mt.Vernon on the Slaughter Ranch.
It is in the middle of a dense thicket, and was found
only after considerable trouble by Mr. Otis H.
Slaughter Jr., my uncle Mr. Charles Hughes and
myself. Only one tombstone could be found, but
Mr. Hughes and Mr. Slaughter both report that there
were two other tombstones at one time. The
tombstones mark the graves of Mexican copper miners
who settled in the area in the 1870s.
Several years ago someone dug into the graves and
three sunken areas still remain in the vicinity of
the graveyard. The single remaining tombstone
stands about five feet high and is about two feet
wide and four inches thick. The letters ALM are
inscribed on thetombstone.
is located northeast of Mt. Vernon across White Oak
Creek. It is a well kept cemetery behind the
Midway Church. It was probably started around
1900 since no tomstone was found dating before
Mitchell Rule Gravesite
Mount Vernon City Cemetery is the largest
cemetery in Franklin County with well over
2,500 graves. Located on the south side of
Highway 67 west just within the city limits
of Mt. Vernon. Oldest marked
gravesite in the county is that of S.J. Ely in this
cemetery who died in 1852. Harny B. Carr also
has one of the oldest marked gravesites in the
county-born June 22, 1805, died Seot 15, 1853.
The oldest marker in Titus County is dated
1843. The oldest in Lamar County is dated
1837. Considering the movement of
civilization into Texas from the North and
east, it is understandable that tombstones would make
their first appearance in Franklin County in
Murphree Cemetery is
a small family cemetery of about 25 graves located
about two miles east of the Lake Chapel House of
Prayer on Highway 37. Most of the graves are
for members of the Murphree family although, members
of the Goode and Price families are also buried in
this cemetery. The tombston of Lillie Mae
Murphree, daughter of W.E and L.A. Murphree, is the
oldest in the cemetery. Lillie Mae Murphree
died in 1904.
Old Union Cemetery
also called Carson is a lost cemetery
about one-half mile north of the Emerson Dairy
Farm. The cemetery would probably be in the
center of what was once the Union Community. It
is located about ten miles southwest of Mt.
Vernon. The cemetery is not fenced and is in
very poor condition. No road leads to it
today. Some people call it the Carson Cemetery,
but I could find no Carson burials in this
cemetery. Members of the ONeal, Canaday,
Huffman, and Woosley families are buried in this
cemetery. There are other unmarked graves and
they probably represent other families. The earliest
tombstone is that of the infant daughter of D.M. and
Louisa Huffman who died Dec. 5, 1859. The
latest burial to take place in this cemetery was
probably that of Ann Huffman who died Dec. 5,
1912. Ther are five very interesting unmarked
crypts in this cemetery. No one today seems to
know who is buried in these crypts.
This cemetery was re-fenced and cleaned up by the
Carson family a couple of years ago so it is in much
better condition than when the original description
is a small lost cemetery near the old Huckleberry
Community about six miles northeast of Mt.
Vernon. Mr. and Mrs. Jim Laughton told me of
this cemetery and then directed me to it. The
cemetery is in the middle of a woods and can only be
seen when nearly upon it. It is surrounded by a chain
link fence, but it is rapidly deteriorating.
There are nine distinguishable graves. The two
earliest graves are those of James M. Perrin and his
wife Virginia Perrin. James Perrin was born
Oct.2, 1813. Virginia was born Jan 6, 1822.
They died the same day, Nov 12, 1866. The last
burial in the cemetery was that of Ramon Perrin, son
of W. L. And Mary Perrin, who died Jan. 26,
Pierces Chapel Cemetery
also called Keith because of the many
members of the Keith family buried in this
cemetery. Located about two miles northwest of
the Hagansport Community , this cemetery is the
oldest in the northern part of the county. This
cemetery is uncared for and is in poor
condition. Mrs Immadell Hunt of
Hagansport directed me to this and several
other cemeteries of the Hagansport area. The oldest
grave with a tombstone in this cemetery is that of
Mary Walker, the daughter of L.S. and Susan
Walker, who was born Oct. 26, 1857 and died Jan 10,
Pleasant Hill Cemetery
is an excellantly preserved cemetery west of the
Purley Community. There are at least 400
graves. Captain F. Marion Hastings is buried in
this cemetery and a Texas Historical Marker
designates his grave. The Pleasant Hill
Cemetery is the site of an old camp meeting ground of
the Methodist Church and at least four acres
surrounding the cemetery still belong to the
Methodist Church. Burials probably started in
the 1890s although no tomstones dating before
1900 could be found.
Prairie Academy Cemetery
is a poorly kept cemetery of some 50 graves located
in the western edge of the Talco Oil
Field. The cemetery is just within the bounds
of Franklin County. It is surrounded by a
chain link fence. The oldest tombstone and only
one dating before 1900 is that of Rufus Nowell who
was born Nov. 25, 1859 and died Aug. 19, 1896.
is a cemetery of over 1000 graves located about three
miles south of Mt. Vernon. This cemetery is
well cared for and is enclosed with a chain-link
fence. Across the road from it is the
Providence Primitive Baptist Church. The first
burials in this cemetery probably took place in the
1860s. The earliest tombstone in the
cemetery is that of John L. Wilkerson who died Sep.
8, 1870. John L. was the son of
J.W. and Fannie Wilkerson. The oldest tombstone
of any adult buried in Providence Cemetery is that of
Nixon Davis who was born in April 1826 and died Sep
located in the Purley community containing at least
250 graves. This cemetery is in excellent
condition. The earliest grave is that of John
J. Roberts who was born May 21, 1837 and died Aprril
18, 1889. Burials probably did not start in
this cemetery until the Purley Church was built
nearby in the 1880s. Early residents in
the Purley community buried their dead in the Liberty
or Pleasant Hill Cemeteries.
Rock Hill Cemetery
is south of Macon about one mile. This cemetery
covers approximately 1 acre, but only about 100
gravesites can be found today. The cemetery
is surrounded by a barbed wire fence and can be
reached only by crossing a cattle guard and
following a right-of-way through a private
pasture. The cemetery is in very poor
condition and probably few burials have taken place
in the last 40 years. Burials probably started
in the late 1870s. The earliest monument
is to the memory of Willie H. Terrell who was
born April 4, 1879 and died July 11, 1881.
Rock Springs Cemetery
is a small cemetery of some 50 graves located about
three miles north of Winnsboro. No
tombstones dating before 1900 were found in this
small well kept cemetery. One confederate
veteran is buried in this cemetery-Levi Glover
of Company F, of the Third Louisiana
Cavalry. Members of the Elliott, Henry, Berry,
and Payne families are buried in this cemetery.
Seventh Day Adventist
Cemetery is a lost cemetery for a group of
Seventh Day Adventist Families which moved into the
northern end of the county in the 1880s.
It is beside a blacktop road about four miles east of
Highway 37 at the Lake Chapel House of
Prayer. There are seven recognizable graves
marked by large stones or wooden stakes under two
is a lost family cemetery about two miles northeast
of Hagansport. Mr. Monroe Elliott of Hagansport
directed me to this cemetery. According
to Mr. Elliott there were once about ten wooden
stakes marking gravesites in this
cemetery. There have been no burials for at
least 60 years. The cemetery is on land
belonging to Mr. Will Singleton.
is a lost cemetery in the woods about one fourth mile
north of the Murphree Cemetery. Although
there may have been other graves, only three are
distinguishable today. There is a double
tomstone for Noah Smith and his wife Mary E and
a single tombstone for Della May, daughter of W.W.
and Mollie Smith. Mary E. Smith who died May
1891 has the earliest marked grave.
called Brannan Cemetery is a small, fenced, abandoned
cemetery of the Brannan and Snodgrass families.
There are no more than 15 graves, five of which
are marked with tombstones. The earliest marked
gravesite is that of James Brannan who
was born April 28, 1850 and died Feb 17, 1878.
The latest burial is probably that of Margaret R.
Brannan who died Feb 4, 1932.
Wakefield Cemetery is a lost
Negro cemetery about one mile south of the
Hamilton Community, northwest of Mt.
Vernon. A negro Community of perhaps ten or
twelve families lived in this area
through the 1930s. As late as 1960
several marble tombstones identified the site of this
cemetery, however, no trace of these markers can
be found today. The markers have either
been stolen or fallen down and been covered with
debris. The cemetery is called Wakefield
because several members of the Russ Wakefield family
are said to be buried there. Probably members of the
other families in the community are also buried
is a small family cemetery of about 25 graves.
Although no road leads to this cemetery today, it is
fenced and cared for by members of the Wims family.
It is in the northern end of the county about three
miles northeast of Hagansport. The oldest
tombstone is that of John Wims who was born in 1852
and died April 12, 1865. The latest burial to take
place in this cemetery was that of Lena Wims, wife of
Richard Wims, who was born Sep. 20,1862 and died Nov.
is a lost cemetery located in a grove of trees atop a
hill about three-fourths of a mile northwest of the
Big Creek Bridge on Highway 67 west of Mt. Vernon.
There were possibly ten graves although only six
markers remain today. Two of the six
markers are stone and four are wooden stakes.
One of the stone markers is a marble tombstone which
is inscribed to the memory of Elizabeth Yates who was
born March 23, 1850 and died July 12, 1857.
Franklin County Texas by
Gloria Mayfield (deceased)
***This site is no
longer being maintained***
***Off of the TXGenWeb
Franklin Co site***