Franklin County Information
Franklin County is the 9th smallest county of the 254 counties in the state of Texas. The county is long and narrow with a north/south configuration.
The Cherokee Trace runs along the eastern boundary of the county; a Caddo Indian Highway which led from the southern regions of the Caddo Confederacy (26 tribes with a common language or at least a related tongue) at Nacogdoches to the Oklahoma area northwest of Clarksville. Except for small pocket prairies and the large open prairie at Daphne, the county would have been covered in virgin forest with the north half of the county in a region known as the postoak savannah and the southern half of the county at the northermost end of the pine forests of southern Texas.
Franklin County was first a part of Red River County, one of the 16 original counties in the Republic of Texas. In 1846 Titus County was formed out of Red River, including present day Morris, Titus, Franklin and part of Camp County. In 1875 Franklin County was carved out of Titus County.
This site is owned and maintained by the Franklin Co. TXGenWeb Co. Coordinator. Contents of this site have been gathered from many sources and transcribed records. Therefore, errors may occur. When in doubt as to the accuracy of data contained herein, go to the actual records yourself. The information contained in this website is for your personal use only. All pages, compilations, transcriptions and abstracts are protected by copyright law and may not be published in whole or in part without written consent of the author, contributor and/or webmaster.