Contact info for this cemetery is Nancy
Original Submitted by Eric Bonner Wood
Researched & Updated by CBurks, June 12, 2007
Photo of Cemetery Marker
Description: The gate reads "1853 SALEM" underneath a sign reads "In Memory of Mr. & Mrs. M. B. Greer". Surrounded by chain link fence in amongst an opening with a few large trees.
Texas State Historical Marker:
Salem Predestinarian Baptist Church and Cemetery - Among oldest in county.
Founded Dec. 3, 1853, by the Lee families, Elders Thomas Dossey and C. T. Echols certifying to constitution of church. Elder Dossey named it.
Five-acre site given by William H. McSwane family. First building of logs was replaced later by frame structure. The present chapel was erected in 1961 by William Aldon McSwane.
Location: 4.5 miles south of Teague, on FM 80.
Directions: From Hwy 75 at Dew take FM Road 489 West 2.5 miles. Take a right on Fm road 671 and go north to FM Road 684. Turn left and follow it back. The cemetery is on the Right.
Oldest Marked Grave: Victoria Agnes Bateman 01/12/1861
|A - C||D - G||H - L||M - O||P - S||T - Z|