Gregg County Churches A-E
Alpine Presbyterian Church: (Affiliated with Presbyterian Church, U.S.) Founded Dec. 2, 1881, by the Rev. J. DeWitt Burkhead, evangelist. Elders: L. P. and S. F. Henderson and Curtis Mackey. Deacon: J. L. Henderson. Other organizers: C. N. and Mmes. T. C. and Mary Henderson; Miss Mattie and Mrs. R. J. Mackey; Mrs. R. J. Williams, all from the Longview church. Also Miss Alice, W. M., R. T., and W. H. Henderson, H. G. Lampkin, R. O. Mackey, Miss L. J. Mattox, by professions of faith. Services were held in the Tyron School. Members built the church in 1885. The new church adjacent was dedicated in 1964. It reached its largest membership (122) in 1967.
Bethel Baptist Church of Longview:
The Rev. Richard Perry and nine deacons organized this church
in 1874. Services were held under a brush arbor on land donated
by the Rev. Perry and his wife Betty until a sanctuary was erected
later that year. A Sunday School was formed in 1875. A new church
building was erected in 1884 and in 1890 a women's missionary
society and a youth association were formed. A new sanctuary,
HOME Church Index
© 2007 - present by TXGenWeb
(Please read our copyright page for a better understanding of our copyright needs.)
Materials on this site are provided for the free use of persons who are researching their family history. Data may be freely used by non-commercial and/or completely free entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. Any commercial use, without the prior consent of the host/author of the materials provided on this site, is prohibited. The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit.
Notice to Webmasters: You may not copy and paste the information on any of the pages of this site onto another web page without first obtaining explicit permission to do so and without including the copyright notice.