Gregg County Churches S-Z
St. Luke's United Methodist Church - Kilgore: The Kilgore Methodist Society was organized in 1873 after many residents of New Danville (4 mi. NE) moved to Kilgore, founded in 1872 after the railroad arrived in 1871. They erected a school building in 1873 at Martin and North streets (1 blk. N) for the Rev. Isaac Alexander (1832-1919), who transferred his New Danville Masonic Female Academy to Kilgore, renaming it Alexander Institute. He also conducted Sunday services there until 1883. In that year the neighboring Methodist congregations of Kilgore, Crossroads, Danville, and Pirtle formed the Kilgore Methodist Circuit, with the Rev. F. J. Browning as first pastor. In 1894 the Institute (later renamed Lon Morris College) moved to Jacksonville. Kilgore Methodists continued to meet in the Institute chapel. In 1904 the chapel was moved one block southwest (across Martin Street from this site). It was replaced there in 1915 with a frame sanctuary which was burned by arson in 1931 during the Kilgore oil boom. This fieldstone sanctuary and the annex were built in 1932, and the 109-member Kilgore congregation became St. Luke's Methodist Episcopal Church, South, with the Rev. Bob L. Pool as the first full-time pastor. The Tudor Gothic buildings were designed by Paris, Texas architects Smith & Praeger. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1985
St Marks Christian Methodist
Episcopal Church: This was the first to be built in Longview
for African Americans. It was built between 1876 and 1880. First
known as St. Mark Colored Methodist Episcopal Church, this congregation
was organized by former slaves about 1867. Worship services were
held in a brush arbor built at the present site of Magrill Park.
Episcopal - Longview: 1894
Winterfield Methodist Church
- Longview: This church traces its origin to Methodist
camp meetings held here in the farm community of Winterfield as
early as the 1870s. The site of the camp meetings, which drew
settlers from Gregg, Upshur, and Harrison counties, was set aside
in the early 1880s for worship purposes. Two small 1880s church
buildings, sanctuaries erected here in 1929 and 1957, and other
facilities including an education building have served the church.
The congregation sponsors a number of outreach programs and activities
and continues to provide civic and religious leadership for the
HOME Church Index
© 2007 - present by TXGenWeb
(Please read our copyright page for a better understanding of our copyright needs.)
Materials on this site are provided for the free use of persons who are researching their family history. Data may be freely used by non-commercial and/or completely free entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. Any commercial use, without the prior consent of the host/author of the materials provided on this site, is prohibited. The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit.
Notice to Webmasters: You may not copy and paste the information on any of the pages of this site onto another web page without first obtaining explicit permission to do so and without including the copyright notice.