Sawmills Of Gregg County
Late 1800's & Early 1900's
This information was obtained from the
Texas Foresty Service.
A. B. Rucker- 1878 to 1884
A. B. and J. H. Rucker sawmilled for many years at Longview, together and independently. The Ruckers gave a promissory note in the sum of $287.50 to Atlas Engine Works for equipment including a 10-inch by 20-inch steam engine in 1878. A later sale to L. G. Jackson apparently fell through. The A. B. Rucker mill was listed in a railroad directory in 1884 at Longview.
A. E. Morgan-1920 to 1929
A. E. Morgan was operating a circular sawmill and planing mill at Longview in 1928.
A. V. Haigwood- Owner/Company Affiliation: A. V.
Albert Sanders and Will Pruitt- Owner/Company Affiliation:
Albert Sanders and Will Pruitt
B. K. Smith- Owner/Company Affiliation: B. K. Smith
Blackburn & Lucy-Blackburn Taylor & Company
became Blackburn & Lucy by 1907
Bovier Grayden- Owner/Company Affiliation: Bovier
Brasher & Campbell-Owner/Company Affiliation:
J. S. Brasher and J. N. Campbell. J. S.
Brasher and R W Wynn, Jr
Carter's Mill-Owner/Company Affiliation: C. B.
Carter & Son or Carter & Co
C C Burns-Owner/Company Affiliation: C. C. Burns
C C FORD- still operating 1907
Camp Brothers----steam powered---The Camp Brothers sawmill was listed at Longview in an 1880 Chicago lumberman directory with the county either Gregg, Harrison, or Upshur. The mill was probably located at Camp Switch, about three miles south of Gladewater, in Gregg County.
Campbell & Philer-----1907
The sawmill firm of Campbell & Philer appeared in the 1907 LCA listing. This Philer may have been one of the Philers operating a sawmill and cotton gin in Panola County during the same time period.
Castleberry & Flewellen Planing Mill Company-1879
Cheyley & Bobo----1893
Clark & Angwin---1877-1882
Cooper, Hardin, & Co - 1878-1880 -
owners or affiliates: . F. J. McCord and John M. Duncan. William
Keechle. P. E. King. Jacob Mauthe.
Jacob Mauthe had two steam sawmills located in Gregg County in the latter 1870s. The Monkey Lake Mill, or Neal Mill, was located about eight miles west of Longview on the Alvice tract of land at Merrill Lake. The second was a portable sawmill identified as the "Mauthe Mill No. 2," and it was situated at the International & Great Northern crossing over the Sabine River. Mauthe sold both mills to William Keechle for $2,500. The sale also included forty oxen and five log wagons. These mills were transferred from Wm Keechle to Cooper, Hardin & Co (John W. Cooper, A. H. S. Hardin, and French Cooper). They sold both mills and 1,650 acres to F. J. McCord and John M. Duncan for $19,500. Ownership of the mills becomes confusing. A railroad directory in 1880 lists both Jacob Mauthe and Hardin, Cooper & Co at Gladewater but not McCord and Duncan.
Also had sawmill at: Armstrong tract of land on the north bank of the Sabine River.
Equipment: Sawmill, two lath machines, three planers, two resaws, a band saw, a spoke lathe, three sets of blacksmith tools, three mules, ninety-six oxen, two two-horse wagons, five tram cars and sets of harness, and a log turner.
Jacob Mauthe had two steam sawmills located in Gregg County in the latter 1870s. The first one was known as the Monkey Lake Mill, or Neal Mill, located about eight miles west of Longview on the Alvice tract of land at Merrill Lake. The second was known as Mauthe's Mill No 2: this was located on the Armstrong tract of land on the north bank of the Sabine River. Its equipment included steam machinery, the sawmill, two lath machines, three planers, two resaws, a band saw, a spoke lathe, three sets of blacksmith tools, three mules, ninety-six oxen, two two-horse wagons, five tram cars and sets of harness, and a log turner. Mauthe sold his two steam sawmills to William Keechle for $2,500. The sale also included forty oxen, five log wagons. The Monkey Lake mill of Mauthe's had come into the hands of by P. E. King. He mortgaged it for $1,000 in March 1878, due March 12, 1879. Equipment included five log wagons and forty oxen. Both mills were transferred later from Wm Keechle to Cooper, Hardin & Co (John W. Cooper, A. H. S. Hardin, and French Cooper), who sold them to F. J. McCord and John M. Duncan. Ownership of the mills becomes confusing. A railroad directory lists both Jacob Mauthe and Hardin, Cooper & Co at Gladewater but not McCord and Duncan.
Crutcher & Harrison----1881 to 1890
Crutcher and George Harrison. W. S. F. Wilkins, Sr.
Rough and finished lumber and shingles
Another mill owned by same company was located at: two and a half miles north of O'Bryne Switch.
Crutcher and George Harrison. Henry C. Ferrell.
1881 to 1884
D. S. Roach---1884
E. B. Prothro---1894
Elderville Lumber Company----1906
Location: Duke Spring, Elderville
Evans & Hearn----1905 to 1907
F. B. Martin & Co----1888
G. T. Merrill----1885 to 1885
Planing mill and shingle mill with two planers, resaw, picket header, swing saw, and whip saw.
The W. S. Robinson saw-, planing, and shingle mills were listed
in a railroad directory in 1884 at Longview. Robinson had two
mills, according to Harrison County records. This mill seemed
to a planing mill only. On October 2, Robinson sold this mill
to G. T. Merrill. Property included the planing mill equipment
(Keystone surfacer and matcher, two resaws, a boiler, and an engine.
Another mill owned by G T Merrill, W S Robinson and Mr.
12-inch by 14-inch steam engine and a boiler
Sawmill, a gang edger, a cut-off saw, a lath mill, twenty-nine oxen, and six wagons
G. T. Ross----1879 to 1880
1,800,000 feet of lumber in reporting period of the Census
G. T. Ross, according to the Special Census Records of 1880, operated a sawmill, with a declared value of $10,000, in Gregg County in Precinct 3. He employed twelve to eighteen men, who earned $1.35 to $3.00 for ten-hour shifts; he paid them a combined wage of $3,800 that year. The mill logged and rafted its harvest on the Sabine River. The mill operated, during the reporting period, fulltime for five months and part-time for two months. Using $9,200 worth of raw materials, the sawmill manufactured 1,800,000 board feet of lumber valued at $18,360.
G. V. Utzman----1905 to 1907
Lumber and shingles
H. D. Skipper---1906
H. H. Lincoln---1890
Finished and rough lumber
During the later 1880s, J. D. Crutcher accepted a mortgage for H. H. Lincoln on some of Lincoln's equipment that the latter used about his sawmill, about three miles north of Camp Switch on the Texas & Pacific. Lincoln, according to the filed deed of trust, had a sawmill, a planing mill, a resaw, twenty-five oxen, three mules, and log wagons.
H. T. Elder & Son-----1906 to 1928
Shortleaf yellow pine lumber
Circular sawmill, 1906. 1928: Circular sawmill, edgers, trimmers.
Howell, Jewitt, & Co---1893
Hugh Echols----1906 to 1907
During 1906 and 1907, operated a sawmill at Longview capable of cutting 5,000 board feet daily.
I. N. Stephen-----1905 to 1907
J G Talley------1884
J H Rucker---1880 to 1907
J L Henderson-----1893 to 1928
Shortleaf yellow pine
J. M. Hoskin Planing Mill and Corn Mill------1885
Finished lumber and flooring products
J. W. Killingsworth or Killingworth & McFarland----before
The sawmill of J. W. Killingsworth near Longview burned on October 4, 1900. The American Lumberman announced that the sawmill of Killingsworth & McFarland at Longview had burned with a partially insured gain of $1,000 offset by the $5,000 loss.
James O'Bryne---1879 to 1884
1,200,000 board feet during the reporting period of the 1880 Census
30-horsepower steam engine
In the 1880 schedule of manufacturers in Precinct 3 of Gregg County during the 1880 Census. His sawmill, valued at $1,500, was powered by a 30-horsepower steam engine and boiler. The mill in the twelve-month reporting period employed twelve to twenty men who earned a wage of $1.25 to $2.00 for an eleven-hour day. The men were paid a total combined wage during the period of $2,400. The mill cut from $6,100 worth of raw materials a total of 1,200,000 board feet of lumber valued at $11,968. O'Bryne did his logging near his mill.
According to Gregg County records, James White bought a small portable sawmill and stumpage on land to belonging to Horatio Brown. E. Jeter acted as seller and trustee.
John Roach-----1882 to 1884
John D. Roach's mill was located on the Texas & Pacific tracks. He sold a bill of lumber to C. C. and J. B. Carter. It is not known if this mill was the D. S. Roach sawmill listed in a railroad directory in 1884 at Longview.
L. J. Everett---- 1893 to 1894
Location: Southwest of Longview: Highways 1252 and 135
Shingles and finished lumber
L. J. Everett bought O. J. Bruce's shingle mill and drag saw, located six miles southwest of Longview, in 1893. He seemed to be running a "finishing" mill as well, for in 1894 he bought some lumber from J. E. Robinson that the latter had received from the Todd Bros sawmill at Gladewater
Lumber and shingles
C. A. LaRoe had a sawmill that he sold to P. E. Barton for $4,800, in 1901. Equipment included a 112-inch by 12-inch engine and a 44-inch by 12-ft boiler, a shingle mill, a planer, twenty cattle, and two log wagons.
Longview Crate & Woodenware Company
Crates, boxes, woodenware
operated a factory at Longview in the early 1900s.
Longview Lumber Company---1893
Longview Lumber Company had a sawmill at Longview in 1893, cutting 70,000 feet daily. That same year, according to county records, it leased an one-half interest in R. R. Chaney's planing mill at Longview Station.
Longview Manufacturing Company-----1878
Sawmill, planing mill, spoke mill, lathe mill
Mayfield & Durham-----1875 to 1893
Location: Foote Switch (Foote's Switch, later known as Snyder's Switch, about four miles south of Longview)
A sawmill firm of Foote & Moberly had an operation, according to the Gregg County records, at Foote Switch on the trackage of the Texas & Pacific. Byron T. Durham gave a deed of trust to Thomas Hope in 1875 for $1,300 for the sawmill, the steam engine, etc., the mill house having earlier burned down. William Durham was partnered to Byron T. Durham, according to Gregg County records, as they repaired the mill site, located at Foote's Switch (later Snyder's Switch) about four miles south of Longview. Local railroad and lumber entrepreneurs Brad and Eli Barnes along with A. Waldrond provided materials for the construction of the new steam mill. A. Waldrond provided material to Byron T. Durham, who built a steam sawmill at Longview. The Durham & Durham sawmill was probably the genesis of the Mayfield & Durham, which was cutting 15,000 feet daily of lumber at Longview in 1893.
Moore & Brown---1873
According to Gregg County records, Samuel Moore and Isaiah Brown gave a mortgage to S. Durham and Sam Fleming for their steam sawmill and two road wagons.
P. Kilfoile had a shingle mill at Longview and was listed in a railroad directory in 1884.
Pierce & Reynolds----1873
Pierce & Reynolds, through Jno. B. Reynolds, according to
Gregg County records, bought in 1873 the former Thompson &
Slater sawmill located on 320 acres about three miles east of
Longview on the tracks of the Texas & Pacific. Reynolds gave
a deed of trust to W. H. Beaumont to secure the company's indebtedness
to W. G. Randall & Brother.
Pool, Watson, & Burton-----1906
The Pool, Watson, & Burton plant was producing 5,000 feet daily in 1906.
Powers Lumber Company---1899 to 1903
Owner/Company Affiliation: Powers Lumber Company. J. B. Rowe, S. H. Vernon, and Wroten & Grain Lumber Company. .
Powers Lumber Company, with George Millerish, was a Terrel-based company in Kaufman County. As early as 1899, it had a sawtimber lease on the 1,280 acres known as the Leonard Perkins survey in Gregg County, four miles south of Gladewater. Rather than build its own mill and harvest the timber, Powers Lumber Company leased the timber to others, who would cut, haul, mill, and ship the product to Terrell along the tracks of the Texas & Pacific. Some who leased from Powers Lumber were J. B. Rowe, S. H. Vernon, and Wroten & Grain Lumber Company.
Pratt Nicholson sold lumber to Ras Young from his sawmill.
R. G. Brown----1890?s to 1908
Location: Longview: Methvin and Sixth streets
Yellow pine lumber
R. G. Brown and J. J. Flewellen, both of Harrison County, partnered early in lumbering at Longview in Gregg County. They bought land in Upshur and Gregg counties, and Brown was running a tram road eleven miles into Upshur County by 1893 to the banks of the Little Cypress Bayou. Brown bought out Flewellen sometime before 1900. The "Lumber Mills of Texas," Southern Industrial and Lumber Review noted that the R. G. Brown sawmill was cutting 20,000 feet daily in 1906. Also listed in the LCA for 1905 and 1907, the mill was a member of the Yellow Pine Manufacturers Association. A map published in 1907 places the mill to the south of the Texas & Pacific tracks and to the east of the end of Methvin and North streets. Equipment included two 60-horsepower steam engines for running the sawmill and a 50-horsepower steam engine for the planing mill. The Brown and Flewellen Lumber Company of Longview dissolved in January 1908 when R. G. Brown bought out J. J. Flewellen. The sale included a nine-mile tram that ran nine miles north from Longview, all sawmills, planers, warehouses, commissaries, etc. The sale price was $5,000.
R. R. Chaney-----1888 to 1893
Rough and finished lumber
R. R. Chaney, a noted sawmiller in the counties of Gregg, Harrison, and Panola, had a manufacturing plant located at Longview in the 1880s and 1890s. His "Cherokee mill" was located on the tracks of the Texas, Sabine Valley & Longview. He sold a bill of lumber, manufactured at the mill, to Armstrong & Evans for $4,444.40, in 1888, according to county records. R. R. Chaney, in 1893, was cutting 12,000 feet daily of lumber at Longview. Later that year, Chaney leased one-half of his interest in his planing mill at Longview Station to the Longview Lumber Company.
R. R. Philes----1905 to 1907
Rumsey & Wolfkill----1884
Sabine Mills Lumber Manufacturing Company----1880 to 1883
Location: Foote's Switch, later known as Snyder's Switch, about four miles south of Longview
B. Snyder's sawmill and planing mill at Foote's Switch were listed in an 1880 Chicago lumberman directory. Snyder formed the Sabine Mills Lumber Manufacturing Company with George Pheuffer and John Otto Buenz. It was located about four miles from Longview, Foote's Switch being renamed Snyder's Switch. It was sold by District Court order in 1883. Some of the property included three tram cars, a log wagon, and 500 hogs.
The Sebe King plant was producing 10,000 feet daily in 1906.
Thomas Harvey Etheridge-----1855 (before Gregg actually became County---probably one of the first sawmills in the area)
Location: Near the Sabine River at Camden (Walling's Ferry, later Easton)
Lumber and cornmeal
Thomas Harvey Etheridge wrote his brother, Benjamin Etheridge of Tennessee, in June 1855 that he owned a steam sawmill and grist mill, located at Camden (Walling's Ferry, later Easton). Etheridge shipped lumber as far as Hunt County, more than 140 miles away.
W. C. Robinson-----1893
W. C. Robinson was cutting 15,000 feet daily in Longview.
W. C. Smith-----1880
W. R. McKay----1905 to 1907
W. S. Wilkins & Son-----1879 to 1884
Location: Northwest of Longview, office at Longview
Pine, rough and dressed lumber, shingles
According to Gregg County records, S. and W. S. Wilkins, Jr.,
mortgaged to Buckeye Engine Company on their sawmill machinery
located seventeen miles south by east from Gilmer on the C. H.
Alexander Headright, a little to the northwest of Longview. The
Wilkins & Son mill was listed in a railroad directory in 1884
at Longview. In 1880, W. F. S. Wilkins had a sawmill in nearby
Precinct 4 of Harrison County.
Yates & Noble------1889 to 1894
The Yates and Noble lumber manufacturing company at Longview
was operating at least by 1889, for in that year it sold a narrow
gauge steam locomotive to the Burnett Lumber Company of Lufkin.
In 1893, Yates and Noble were cutting 25,000 feet daily of lumber
at Longview. The Beaumont Journal in an article the next year
noted that Yates and Noble were present at the organizational
meeting of the Texas and Louisiana Lumbermen's Association, held
© 2007 - present by TXGenWeb
(Please read our copyright page for a better understanding of our copyright needs.)
Materials on this site are provided for the free use of persons who are researching their family history. Data may be freely used by non-commercial and/or completely free entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. Any commercial use, without the prior consent of the host/author of the materials provided on this site, is prohibited. The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit.
Notice to Webmasters: You may not copy and paste the information on any of the pages of this site onto another web page without first obtaining explicit permission to do so and without including the copyright notice.