Where The Stagecoach Stopped
This tall clapboard farmhouse was a welcome sight to weary travelers as the stagecoack wheels lumbered up the steep drive to the porch. The Teague House on Teague Street was at the Nothern Boundary of the Tract on hte William T. Brooks Stagecoack Line from Monroe, Louisiana to Tyler, Texas. Sharp eyes may still see remains of the old stagecoach route through the woods behind the Lion's Amphitheater in Teague Park.
The exact age of the Teague House is unknown. Franklin Martin, who now ownes the property, explained that the deed to the land would have been registered in Upshur County. The house is believed to have been built before Gregg County was formed from parts of Upshur and Rusk Counties in 1873. Unfortunately a court house fire destoryed many early Upshur County records.
It is known however that the house is one of the few remaining homes of Earpville. It was considered to be an old house in 1882 when it was purchased by Mary and Latimus Teague of Alabama.
The Teague daughters, Miss Molly and Miss Sarah, held school sessions and taught music in the front parlor of the house beginning in 1890. Their classes were moved to a seperate building where they continued until 1905. The children of many well known early Longview families attended school and took their music lessons at the Teague House.
Across the modern road, on a hill beneath shade trees the old Teague family burial ground is enclosed by an iron gate. Several of the headstones are so old that the names and dates have eroded, but it is evident from the remaining dates that many small children lie at rest beneath the grass. Life was hard for pioneers at the Teague's stagecoach stop.
Today the handsome old structure is painted in cheerful shades of salmon pink and dusty blue. The tall house with its high pitched roof and old fashioned steep narrow brick chimneys is strikingly similar to 19th centurn New England gothic farmhouses.
A high porch extends across the front and side of the building. Nine hand hewn cylindrical columns sup0port the porch which is completed byt elaborate yet well proportioned Greek key molding. The construction of the porch indicates the attitude of the house itself. It is remarkably sophisticated for the early date of building in this area. During recent restorations, the current owner had the carpenters place a heavy sheet of plactic in the flooring at the left of the front porch so that the interesting details of early construction could remain visible. These are situated upon boulders of iron ore.
The Texas Historica Commission has awarded Teague House a medallion in recognition of its historic and architectural significance. The medallion may be seen beside the front door. The carved and panelled front door is surrounded by transom and sidelights. All retain their original wavy glass. The door opens to a welcoming hallway.
The main feature of the hall is a steep narrow stairway built in a freestanding manner. It turns back on itself with narrow triangular steps at the landing. The ornately panelled newel post is trimmed with beaded molding.Bannisters on both sides of the staircase are supported by an elaborate series of turned posts which which form a decorative balcony at the landing.
Handsome narrow panelled wainscoting trims the entry hall walls. Four rooms symetrically arranged at either side of the entry were finished with wallpaper. Footboard moldings throughout the house are the original old fashioned foot high boards.
Each room is warmed by a woodburning fireplace. The chimneys are an unusual architectural ffeature for they are located on inside walls rather than at the end walls of the house. The parlor boasts an unusual painted brick mantel. The front room at the left has an ornate wood mantel trimmed with ionic columns and claw foot designs.
Upstairs there are two square rooms of identical proportion and a pleasing landing centered by a tall window. Identical fireplaces in the upstairs rooms have wooden mantels of simple grooved molding. It is surprising to find small closets built into the rooms of such an early house.
Original old pine floors may be seen throughout the structure. Moldings around doors, windows and transoms are of identical design. They are similar to the moldings of the Finch Home. All the ceilings are remarkably low. They are no higher than those of contemporary homes.
The basic structure of the house is essentially unchanged except that a porch and kitchen wing have been added at the rear. The original kitchen was a sepearate buiklding but it has long since been lost. Mrs. Paul Belding, Chairman of the Gregg County Historical Commission stated that the local Historical Commission is interested in acquiring old buildings, well houses, structures and artifacts of historical nature to be preserved on property adjacent to the local Historical Museum.
Teague House stands in a grove of huge and ancient hardwood trees.
The enormous hackberry tree at the side of the house has been
measured by Texas A&M University to qualify as a State Champion
Hackberry Tree. Splendid gardens and brick verandas surround the
house. The Teague Pond, now a part of Teague Park was always a
part of this land. It has been a favorite spot for picnicking
and fishing for generations of area residents.
© 2007 - present by TXGenWeb
(Please read our copyright page for a better understanding of our copyright needs.)
Materials on this site are provided for the free use of persons who are researching their family history. Data may be freely used by non-commercial and/or completely free entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. Any commercial use, without the prior consent of the host/author of the materials provided on this site, is prohibited. The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit.
Notice to Webmasters: You may not copy and paste the information on any of the pages of this site onto another web page without first obtaining explicit permission to do so and without including the copyright notice.