334 S. MAIN, Boerne
|OWNERS: August Staffel, Herbert Vollbrecht, Henry Wendler, Mrs. Edna Miller, Radcliff Spencer||ADDITION: Original Town LOT#:30||DATE: c1875 Style/Period: Stone salt box|
|BUILDERS: August Staffel||CONSTRUCTED OF: Rock, stucco||DESCRIPTION: One story, stone block building; symmetrical with two doors and flanking windows. Dressed stone lintels, gabled roof extended at back. Front stone blocks with sides random stones. Concrete porch with new covering.|
HISTORY:The Staffel Building stands on Lot #30 of the divisions of the original survey No. 180 in the town of Boerne. On 27 April 1854 Gustav Theisen sold 1/2 interest in Lot #30 to August Staffel. Also on that date John James sold his half interest in Lot #30 to August Staffel. The property was bequeathed to his wife, Kunigunda Bertha Staffel, daughter of Joseph Dienger.
This building served as an office for the Staffel livery stable and probably for the postoffice which August Staffel kept. He was appointed Boerne's first postmaster in June 18, 1856 and served for ten years. His wife, Bertha, was postmaster after his death from 1870 until 1881 and sold the property in 1905. This was Boerne's first telegraph office in 1875. In the rear with the stable there was a stagecoach office.
Mrs. Edna Miller, a widow, purchased the building in 1916. In 1936 its ownership went to Radcliff Spencer. In the latter half of the twentieth century, the building was occupied by Malner Shumard as a law office and title company. The property passed to the heirs of Mr. Radcliff Spencer. These two, Dorothy Spencer Traylor and George Spencer, obtained the Historical Marker in 2002 for the building known as the Staffel Building.
Source: Boerne Public Library files