Take Hwy 80 to 5th St in Longview. Turn and go behind Good Shepherd Hospital, past the parking area. The cemetery is on the right side at 705 Magrill St.
In 1877, J. M. Cornes purchased four acres on
this site and, with county surveyor A. S. Taylor, established
"the Longview Cemetery," dedicating its streets to public use.
It lay barely outside the city limits and immediately north of
the junction subdivision platted three years earlier by the International
& Great Northern Railroad. In 1884, Cornes and Taylor extended
their cemetery to Magrill Street by acquiring 155 feet of the
subdivision. Plots provided space for an estimated 3,392 graves
exclusive of a Potter's Field. Most remains in the Pioneer Boring
and Leake Cemetery (on what became the east end of College Street)
were reinterred here. The earliest headstone from that graveyard
is that of Louisa Stroud (1820-1856). The earliest marked grave
original to this site apparently is that of Ida Denny (1874-1878).
The cemetery was renamed "Greenwood " in 1905, the same year it
was included within the city limits. Burials in Greenwood include
a veteran of the war of 1812 and 37 known Confederate veterans.
Also located here are the graves of three people killed during
the 1894 robbery of the First National Bank of Longview by the
infamous Dalton Gang, and those of a family that fell victim to
the 1900 Galveston storm. Many pioneers and prominent citizens
are interred here, including O. H. Methvin, who deeded 150 acres
to the Southern Pacific Railroad for the townsite and is known
as the father of Longview; Bluford W. Brown, who as state legislator
secured the creation of Gregg County; and Britton Buttrill, the
Earpville stagecoach stop operator who became a founding commissioner
and first treasurer of Gregg County. Greenwood Cemetery is a chronicle
of the history of this area. (2000) --Texas Atlas
In 1905 the city of Longview took charge of
its maintenance. In 1975, the nonprofit Greenwood
Cemetery Association was founded to help beautify the site and
raise additional money.
This cemetery reading was done by Maribeth Buce in August, 2001. It includes
many pictures taken by Etta Withers & Elaine Martin. Click on the letter of choice
for the updated reading.
© 2007 - present by TXGenWeb
(Please read our copyright page for a better understanding of our copyright needs.)
Materials on this site are provided for the free use of persons who are researching their family history. Data may be freely used by non-commercial and/or completely free entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. Any commercial use, without the prior consent of the host/author of the materials provided on this site, is prohibited. The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit.
Notice to Webmasters: You may not copy and paste the information on any of the pages of this site onto another web page without first obtaining explicit permission to do so and without including the copyright notice.