Ned E. Williams School
On this site (off hwy 349 on CR 2953) in 1883 an all colored
school named Greenville was established in the Elderville Community
School District by Ned E. Williams. This school was built
to accomodate the children of the newly organized District No.
5 of Gregg County which included Pleasant Green, Elderville, Greenville,
Post Oak and Easton. In 1918 the school's name was changed
to Gregg County Training School. Mr. Williams became the
first principal and upon his death in 1945 was honored by having
the school named for him and his fifty-seven years to the education
of children. His son, E. R. Williams followed his father's
footsteps at the school as principal and was later named District
Superintendent. Mrs. Edna Mae Jacobs then became the first
black woman to serve as the schools principal. A modern
brick structure was built in 1964 and closed in 1969 when this
school consolidated with Longview Independent School District.
Professor Ned E. Williams' teaching of the better ways of living
to the youth of this community shall live forever.
© 2007 - present by TXGenWeb
(Please read our copyright page for a better understanding of our copyright needs.)
Materials on this site are provided for the free use of persons who are researching their family history. Data may be freely used by non-commercial and/or completely free entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. Any commercial use, without the prior consent of the host/author of the materials provided on this site, is prohibited. The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit.
Notice to Webmasters: You may not copy and paste the information on any of the pages of this site onto another web page without first obtaining explicit permission to do so and without including the copyright notice.